Custom Home Building Timeline
- How long will it take?
- What am I responsible for?
- When will construction actually start?
PHASE 1: Pre-Construction Planning (2-3 Months)
Finding a Custom Home Builder
If you choose us to build your home we will have questions for you as well. These can be discussed by phone ,e-mail or one-on-one.
There are 3 things that must be determined during the pre-construction planning:
What is your plan?
If a plan already exists the process will be quicker. A lot of basic questions can be omitted and we will skip to the finishing touches.
No plan in place…no worries. We will sit down with catalogs (from prior builds for ideas),meet with a designer or work with you and draw up a unique plan for you. Decisions need to be made ie. number of bedrooms, number of bathrooms and the square footage you feel you will require to suit your needs.
Have you found a building lot for your custom home?
If so great!. If not, we can assist with that.
Do you have financing for your custom home build?
It is important to be pre-approved for financing prior to any final planning decisions as it determines the budget we will have to work with.
Selecting Your Custom Home Finishes
The selection of your home finishes can be tedious and many builders do not choose to do this prior to the signing of the required paperwork. This is what makes us different. Before the quoting process can take place we want these decisions to be made so we can provide an accurate quote. This will eliminate unexpected extra charges during construction.
These finishes will include:
- Kitchen cabinets and counters
- Bathroom cabinets
- Exterior Finishings
Custom Home Building Quote – How much is my custom home going to cost?
We will take all the information we have compiled in steps 1&2 and consult with our suppliers and our construction team and provide an extensive detailed quote (15 – 20 pages). It is common for us to quote 2 different totals prices. The first being a total price the second being a total price plus upgrade options. At this time a decision will need to be made to determine your comfort level with the increases.
Once your decision is made we will meet with you to discuss the paperwork and have you sign off so construction can begin.
Pre Construction Check – What Needs To Be Finalized Before We Start Building Your Custom Home?
- Your financing must be 100% in place.
- FInal selections on finishes and colours.
Once this is done going forward all approvals, updates and changes will take place in CostCertified. This is a website with a corresponding App we use which allows you to monitor the progress of the construction of your new home. It has a shared calendar and has the ability to share selections, sign any change orders and show progress photos.
PHASE 2: Construction Of Your Custom Built Home (8-10 Months)
Construction Begins On Your New Custom Home
It is difficult to determine the time frame of your custom build at first. There are many determining factors. Here is a framework of what is about to take place.
- Depending on the condition of your property choice excavation and site prep will be required which could take up to a few days to two weeks.
- Laying the foundation. There are three types which could be chosen: slab, crawlspace or full basement.
- Framing the house. This is when your home starts to take shape and the construction of the wood structure and roof take place.
- Plumbing and wiring is installed and running through the walls of the home.
- Finishing the exterior: After the framing is complete the installation of your choice of stone, brick or siding will take place.
- Insulation and drywall
- Trim and molding
- Electricians and plumbers will return to finish their job by installing light switches and bathroom fixtures.
- Carpets, if chosen, will now be installed as well as the installation of appliances.
- Final detailing
Post Construction Walk Thru
The initial inspections will be done internally. This will be done by checking our own work to ensure the quality of our workmanship.
Conclusion: Closing On Your Custom Home
The process of building a custom home will take 8 months or more depending on the size of your home. You may not need our presence upon closing if you obtained a construction loan and you already own the property.
If you are looking to build a custom home in Midland, Penetang, Tiny, Collingwood or anywhere in the entire Georgian Bay area, contact Georgian Bay Custom Home Builders for a free no obligation quote. We are experienced in custom home building for over 20 years and ready to start on your new custom home building project. Let’s build the dream home you always wanted.